Friday, September 10, 2010

Krzyzewski vs. Blatt

It was supposed to be Team USA vs. Team Russia this past Thursday. It's turned into an MTV Celebrity Death Match between Coach K of Team USA and Coach Blatt of Team Russia. Let the games begin.


Back and forth they go, hitting each other with verbal blows, one after the other. This is what their conversation via all media outlets sounds like:

Coach K: You think Russia deserved gold in '72?
Coach Blatt: Now that I look at it, yes.
Coach K: Exactly what I expected from a Russian.
Coach Blatt: I'm not Russian. I'm American like you. I cried when America lost.
Coach K: Where are your tears now? (turns to his players) Let's go guys!Let's get fired up! Let's show this nation who really should have won on this day 38 years ago!

I understand. This is a very condensed version of each other's attacks, but in a nutshell, that's how idiotic they sound.

Does Coach K still think we're in the Cold War? Yes, Russia is the enemy, but only in basketball's parameters, only on Thursday. After that, we made peace with the nation decades ago. He's attached a sort of post-Cold War drama to these quarterfinals. And many believe that Coach K's antics are a direct step towards motivating his somewhat untouchable, godlike players. And I couldn't agree more. I understand Team USA has, for the most part, dominated in this FIBA tournament. And as an American, I think it would be great for Team USA to finally win this tournament, since the last time was in 1994. And yes, Team USA is extremely close. But Coach K just seems desperate here. You are one of the greatest coaches of all sports. Find another way to motivate your team. To put Blatt in that situation is very low, especially for someone with his reputation. 8 national championships? 12 elite eights? You didn't accomplish all those by stooping to that kind of level.

Before I forget, USA won by 10.


- Leather Head





No comments:

Post a Comment